Sunday, November 6, 2011

tiella

OMG So Good!
More than 10 years ago, on my way to see my parents, I stopped in to see my Aunt Isabel and Uncle Floyd at their home in Northern Michigan.  As is typical when you enter the home of an Italian she asked if I was hungry. I said no and as is the case when you visit the home of an Italian she ignored my answer and said “I’ll get you something.” It was the first time I had Tiella – actually I didn’t even know it’s name. Before my aunt could ask if I liked it I asked for more and coyly she followed with “you like it?”.  I felt myself wanting to pick apart each layer to find out the ingredients – but trying not to look like I was trying to pick out something I didn’t like – I just asked. My aunt rattled off the ingredients in a typical ‘Oh it’s really nothing’ kind of way and I took careful mental note of each ingredient even asking her to repeat the cooking instructions. 

So I went home and for years attempted to make this dish like I thought it was made with the ingredients my aunt shared with me. So fast-forward 10 years…I call my aunt one weekend and we get into a discussion about food. I start by telling her how much I loved the dish she served me a long time ago – and how I never forgot the flavor. She says how much her kids like the dish and how it’s good on its own or with a nice piece of chicken. I asked her to tell me how to make it – this time stopping her along the way to make sure I understood. Finally I asked her what it was called, she said “You can a call it Tiella.”. 

So, I repeated it in my head periodically over that week and then attempted it the following weekend and oh my God! It is that good! I’ve made it a couple times and the reaction it so classic. When I tell people it is a potato zucchini casserole – you can almost see the disappointment, the oh no how do I make a ‘it’s really good’ face while eating potato zucchini casserole. Then the first bite – chew…chew – eyes widen then the ‘not at all what I expected this is SO good’ face and then the second bite with a slight pause and half empty mouth and wide eyes that say “this is really good”. 

Over all this takes more time to prep then to assemble and more time to cook then to prep (2 hours). But the results are a simple and beautiful dish with complex and comforting flavors. Let it cool a bit (15-20 mins) before cutting into it to let it set-up; but it is delicious room temperature and even with a spoon by fridge light Nigella Lawson style!

When I think of something like this blog it makes me think of encounters like mine with my aunt – and how technology is changing the dynamic of sharing cooking tips and recipes. But truth be told, I kind of like that my aunt didn’t just say I’ll email you the recipe. It was her description and the mental sampling of the ingredients I made while she spoke them. In fact I relish the day that we capture via video the recipes and techniques of our family members – I just wish I had the chance to do so with my grandmothers…for now I plan to corner my mom (I’m sure it will be easy J) and tape her making her signature ravioli, pasta recipes, breaded steak and on and on…    


Ingredients
Potato choice; use Yukon Gold or Red Skin Potatoes, the dense waxy texture works really well. I’ve used Russet and it still tastes great but you lose the distinct layers that make this dish really special.
Can diced tomatoes; my mom, dad and aunt insist on Dei Fratelli. Use the diced tomato of your choice but you have been warned J.

       2 medium size Yukon Gold or Red Skin Potatoes
        2 small Zucchini
        1 small or ½ medium Onion
        1 Banana Pepper
        1 ½ cups finely grated Parmesan Reggiano
        1 cup grated Asiago
        1 can diced Tomatoes (28 oz)
        ¼ cup chopped Basil
        ¼ cup chopped Parsley
        5 cloves of finely chopped Garlic Cloves
        3 T Olive Oil
        Salt and Pepper

Prepare
Tomatoes; don’t think ‘sauce’ think seasoning the tomatoes.
In a medium skillet  or small sauce pan over medium heat
Heat oil (when it ripples), add chopped garlic.
Do not let the garlic brown; just as it starts to look a bit blonde - add the diced tomatoes.
Stir together for 1-2 minutes.
Stir in herbs and allow to cook for 3- 5 minutes.
It will thicken slightly.
Remove and set aside to cool.
Slice and Chop
Slice the potatoes thin – like scalloped potatoes.
Put the slices in a bowl of cold water and set aside.
Slice the zucchini on the bias (somewhat diagonal) and slightly thicker then the potatoes.

Cut the onion in half (pole to pole).
Slice very thin.
Stem and seed the banana pepper; cut into strips and then dice into small pieces.

If not already done (it’s always best and cheaper to do it yourself) grate the cheeses. You can use a box grater or pulse in a food processor.
 Prepare the Baking Dish
In a 9 x13 baking dish spread 1/5 of the diced tomatoes on the bottom. You don’t have to worry about covering the bottom, but just be sure that liquid ‘dirties’ the whole surface.

Start Layering
Cover the bottom of the baking dish with slices of potato – you don’t have to overlap and they should only be in a single layer think.
Sprinkle ¼ of the onion slices and pepper pieces on top of the potatoes.
Sprinkle with 1/5 of the each of the cheeses.
Dot the top with tomato mixture – no need to coat, the tomatoes will breakdown during cooking and mix with the cheese and…(thud!)…anyway…
Season lightly with salt and pepper.


Layer a non overlapping single layer of zucchini.
Then – onion, peppers, cheeses, salt & pepper and tomatoes.
Add layer of potatoes.
Then – onion, peppers, cheeses, salt & pepper and tomatoes.
Layer a non overlapping single layer of zucchini.
Then – onion, peppers, cheeses, salt & pepper and tomatoes.
Add a final layer of potatoes and sprinkle liberally with the remainder of cheese.

Cooking
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Cover baking dish tightly with aluminum foil – You can add parchment to the top of the Tiella before covering to keep the cheese from sticking to the foil.
Cook in the center of the oven covered for 1 hour. When you remove the foil the Tiella will seem watery. Not to worry the water has been drawn out and that liquid has mixed the flavors of the ingredients throughout the dish and ‘braised’ the vegetables.
Uncover and cook for 45 minutes more. This will allow the water to evaporate from the mixture and to add a delicious brown crust. The top should be a caramel brown like a good mac & cheese– use the additional 15 minutes as needed to get the top brown. 

Remove from the oven and cool on the stove top or on a trivet.

Let it cool a bit (15-20 mins) before cutting into it to let it set-up; but it is delicious room temperature and even with a spoon by fridge light Nigella Lawson style!

Update:
Tiella can be frozen after it's been cooked. To reheat, put the frozen tiella, covered in foil in a 350 degree  oven for 45 mins. Check it to see if it is bubbly and steamy. If not recover and check every 10-15 mins. When it's bubbly - take off the foil and cook for 15 mins more.

1 comment:

  1. making this for the 3rd time (actually 6th because I made 4 batches today to freeze!) Just browning the tops and can't wait to serve to new victims!
    Ciao Nonna, this is belissimo. <3

    ReplyDelete