Friday, April 22, 2011

first post: prosciutto yo mama sandwich

I thought a while about the title of this post and realized just how many people must start their first blog post with the same name "First Post". I thought I should be more descriptive, pithy or enticing; it's all to early for that and I think it is enough to join the ranks of those who took the plunge and to see what comes after this first step.

Lately, I have recognized that people around me are taking a first step into something new...ever the critic...once I think of how to improve what they are doing I follow up with "Well at least they're doing it...and good for them!"

I love to cook. I get a manic peaceful feeling when I do it. Alive yet out of body. I can see the flavors and taste the finished product while reading the ingredient list. I like the challenge and opportunity of opening the fridge or cupboard and connecting the dots on a random bunch of ingredients.

When I realize it took me 20 minutes or longer to prep for a dish - it makes me smile. I am impatient by nature and if anyone told me I would focus so closely on prepping without regard to time (not actually cooking) I would never believe it - but I do it. Bottom line - I love food.

More on that later this blog is called "What Lola Eats" so time for the first recipe.
(Why do I feel I should close my eyes or hold my breath...?)

Prosciutto Yo Mama Sandwich

Seriously...it was that good! This was definitely a last minute pull together sandwich. After passing all of the drive thrus and BBQ places (love me some BBQ) on the way up to our cabin to find ourselves without a meal at 9:00pm. I opened the pantry and the spice cabinet and fridge...took note and then got to creating. Okay so not everyone has truffle butter sitting in the fridge - but believe me...they should ;-).

Ingredients:
  • 8-10 extra thinly sliced Parma prosciutto
  • 1 French baguette (I like the soft kind for this)
  • 2-3 tablespoons of truffle butter (soft)
  • 1 teaspoon dry Italian herbs
  • Parmesan Reggiano
  • Romano
  • Ricotta
Steps:
Start by turning on the broiler in your oven. Adjust the rack to the track second from the top. Adjust the other rack on the second from bottom.
I know I get a little nervous when I use the broiler cuz I get distracted...stuff burns...but this is going to be so worth it.

On a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil (or not) put the slices of prosciutto in a single layer.
Place them in the oven on the upper rack.
Keep an eye on these - once you start to smell the prosciutto you know it is starting to really cook. If they start cooking too fast just move them to the lower rack and cook until lightly brown and just crisped.
We're going for crispy - think thin bacon chips!

Meanwhile...on the counter :)
Shave slices of the Parmesan and Romano - set aside.
You'll want these thin thin thin. You can do this with a potato peeler. You' want enough to cover the bread with a layer of each. Not going to ooie gooie this is layer flavor OMG it's so good...clam clam..

Cut the baguette crosswise into 8 inch lengths.
Slice each section open.
Generously smear with truffle butter on the bread.

Put the bread on on another baking tray / cookie sheet pan, truffle butter side up.

If you haven't already, move the prosciutto to the bottom rack and put the bread on the top rack.

After just a few minute 3-4 the bread should get just lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven and sprinkle each slice with just a pinch of the italian herbs. Put a layer of each cheese on each slice.

Slide the tray with the bread back on the top rack.

Check the prosciutto take it out of the oven and set aside. Ot should be crips and slightly light brown around the edges.

Let the cheese melt on the bread and let the bread get just a bit more toasted on the edges. about 1-2 mins.

Take the tray out of the oven. Put a tablespoon of ricotta on one side of the sandwich and divide the prosciutto among the sandwiches. Put the sandwiches together - I usually smash my sandwiches a bit; taste better I guess.

Wine: Have a big and hardy red with this sandwich.

I feel like I should come up with some catch phrase sign off...but for now...Eat Lola Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment